2018 saw a change of the guard so to speak with a few long term committee members leaving to red and white (St.George AFL) pastures. I would like to say a huge thank you to everyone who has stepped up and taken on a role around the club this year. Whilst I don’t have the room to mention you all individually, please know that you are all truly appreciated.
Grand Final day was testament to this as we had over 85 volunteers stick their hand up to help around the club on the day, and many in the days leading up to it.
With 12 teams and a good group of Auskickers, 2018 saw the most teams we have had at Penshurst, in recent times at least. It was great to see our youngest Auskickers – U11s playing their best in the South Sydney Competition. Our bigger boys and girls from U12-U17 all competed well in the Sydney Harbour Competition and I can happily say we had 5 out of our 8 competitive teams playing in the final series. With 3 making the grand final.
penshurst’s proudest moments:
- Again (for more than 5 years now) we continue to grow and now have over 250 players playing in the green and white.
- Our Auskick relay team bringing the Auskick gala day relay trophy back to its home at Penshurst.
- Seeing our U9s, U10s and U10YGs compete in the end of season gala days and from what I heard they had a ball.
- Our U11 White, U12s, U13s, U15s and U15YGs all made the final series with U11 White, U12s and U13s making the grand final, well done and congratulations to ALL teams!
- Our U12s and U13s played the game of their season and won their Grand Finals at Olds Park.
- We used the theory of “build it and they will come” and come they did – we welcomed 3 youth girl’s teams to Penshurst in 2018. U10s, U12s and U15s.
- Again we saw our U14s and U15s join together to form a great team. I personally enjoyed seeing all players improve hugely through the season, making it through to round 2 of the finals against the odds.
- Watching some of our U17 boys finish off their final year in the green and white. Farewell and good luck to all of you.
- Getting to see some of our recent/former Penshurst players make it in the big league with Connor Flanagan, Kyle McKellar and Zac Cameron all making their debuts in the NEAFL Competition.
- Seeing 2 of our U17 eligible players Noah Casalini and Jacob Dol being selected to play in the U17s future series
- Penshurst RSL Panthers were significantly represented in all south teams for the Development Day and Representative Carnivals held at Blacktown in the July school holidays.
We had a huge number of players representing Penshurst at the regional awards held in August. Congratulations to James Brown (U13s), Andrea Marshall (U15YGs), Eloise Carey (U15YGs) Mark Giuffrida (U17s) all being named in the AFL Sydney Juniors Representative Teams in 2018 for their respective age groups.
James Brown (U13-2) – 3rd Best and Fairest. Zane Kennedy (U13-2) – Best and Fairest Winner. Matt Uglow (U15-3) 3rd Best and Fairest. Eloise Carey (U15YG) – 3rd Best and Fairest. Two Penshurst volunteers were also recognised at the regional awards – Arron Convery as the U15YG coach of the rep carnival. Louise Grady as they Sydney Harbour Volunteer of the year.
Our relationship with the AFL and Sydney Juniors AFL continues to be strong, highlighted by Penshurst Panthers and Olds Park hosting multiple Grand Finals for the fifth year running. Our reputation as the best Grand Final venue continues to grow.
Thanks to our great relationship with St George AFC a pathway continues for Penshurst Players to continue their playing careers in senior footy at a local club. It also allows some of our senior U15/U17 players to participate in the St George Football Academy as well as playing a handful of games for various St George teams throughout 2018.
What to expect in 2019:
We will continue to offer a fantastically cheap registration with discounted registration to players who register before Jan 31st 2019.
This year we are aiming to have Penshurst represented in every youth girls AFL competition with teams in the ages U10s, U12s, U14s, U16s and U18s if possible, and invite all girls along to come and try this great sport and join our happy family.
I will finish off again by saying thank you to all who have contributed to this great family club in the Year 2018, especially the committee, coaches, managers and everyone who, young or old volunteered in 2018. I am especially proud of how well our players have represented the Panthers on and off the field and I can’t wait for 2019 season to begin.
A big thankyou to our major Sponsors and Penshurst RSL in particular for their continued support. This contribution makes junior sport affordable for all in our community and is greatly appreciated.
Bring on 2019 – Year of the Panther – AGAIN!!